Monday, April 13, 2009

My Un-Shopping List

I am really working hard to be more frugal. I was reading one of my favorite blogs, "The Pleasures of Homemaking," where I learned about the un-shopping lists of the depression. Apparently, women used to make lists of things they were making from scratch and did not have to buy.

It really does something great to my brain when I look at a list of things I do not have to worry about buying at the store. You should try it!

I am looking for things to add to my list. If you have any ideas of things that I could make from scratch, I would be HAPPY to hear about them. :)

Happy Un-Shopping!

1. Bread
2. Tortillas
3. Soft Scrub
4. Windex
5. Tide
6. Downey

2 comments:

  1. How do you make your own tortillas. I really like home-made ones but I have never had a successful batch (I haven't tried too many times either :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhonda,

    baby wipes (cheap/thin baby wash cloths w/ a natural, alcohol-free wash OR go here: http://kanggah.com/cheap/babywipes.htm)

    multi-purpose cleaner (one part vinegar: 3 parts water, mixed in a cheap squirt bottle, I clean everything w/ this)

    ice cream sandwiches (I do this in order to use soy or almond ice cream, just sandwich your fav ice cream between 2 of your fav cookies)

    pillows (sew together 2 swatches, sometimes free from interior decorators, fill w/ a pillow insert, or even better, polyfill from a garage sale!)

    hair stipper (let me clarify that ;) an astringent for your hair (mix bkg soda into a paste & put on your hair, then rinse out & shampoo as usual)

    shave cream (cheap off brand conditioner)

    face masque (1/2 tspn olive oil, 1 egg, splash of rose water...leave on your face for 10-20 mins)

    dry hair treatment (1/2 tspn olive oil, 1 egg YOLK, 1 whole avacado-or 1/2 for short hair...mix & apply)

    drain cleaner (a couple tspns of bkg soda down the drain, chase it w/ white vinegar & watch it bubble!)

    -Amy :)

    ReplyDelete